My husband and I got out of Provo this weekend! It's always so nice for me to get out and have a break from the chaos of it all. Anyway, when we went to Canada over Christmas break we started listening to an audio book called The Dorito Effect. It was super interesting, but we haven't had time to finish it since then until this trip.
First of all, I love audio books. I really don't like reading because I feel like I am wasting my time. With audio books, I can multitask and do whatever I want while I listen. I love that modern media gives us options so we can enjoy things in different ways.
So this Dorito Effect book is pretty neat. I'm really into nutrition and healthy eating so it's right up my alley. The premise of the book is that flavor and "fake flavors" in our food is causing people to become addicted to things that really aren't even natural foods. The epidemics of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes are not tied to the overabundance of fat or carbs or any other specific nutrient. Instead, we have been led astray by the growing divide between flavor—the tastes we crave—and the underlying nutrition.
Isn't that so interesting? If you are at all interested in nutrition and the way food has been changed today, check this book out. Whether you read it or listen to it, you'll love it!


So what do they say is the fake flavor in Doritos?? I am so curious, because it is so true that those are addicting! However, when I eat a ton of them I almost always feel sick (happens with most chips I find haha). I will have to check this out. I have friends in the food science industry and they actually don't always agree with a lot of documentaries and things out there like this, so I also think it is important to get both perspectives of what is going into our food so we can be smarter consumers and know the reason why certain things are put into our food.
ReplyDeleteWow this sounds so interesting! I love reading books like this. I will have to check it out! Thanks for the tip :)
ReplyDeleteFor the last couple of months, I have been craving Doritos like it's going out of style. Thank you for giving me the courage to back off the dang chip bag! Also, I adore audio books. I'm a person who likes to listen to things alll the time, and I think audio books are the easiest for me to "read" books.
ReplyDelete